Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Getting a Doctorate

Source



So, a few years ago, I thought it would be a great idea to get a doctorate. I made a lot of progress, took all the statistics classes and even got to the point where I was taking a class called Dissertation Research. The main activity in Dissertation Research class was to produce the dissertation proposal- the first 3 chapters of the dissertation, along with a powerpoint presentation to use for the actual dissertation proposal defense, and the IRB application.

This was last summer. Then I got a job in a new city and decided to move away. I took an incomplete in that class, and had until November 30 to finish all the requirements.

November 30 is really soon, y'all.
Source



So I planned to take this holiday week and finish up my writing. I've finished chapter 1, gotten some good work done on chapters 2 and 3. I've completed the IRB application. It's just a matter of writing, and NOT SECOND GUESSING MYSELF ON THE LITERATURE REVIEW AND STARTING OVER (because I've been very tempted to do that.)

Source


My topic: Developing a rubric to assess information literacy in undergraduate students using the new ACRL Framework for Information Literacy.

I've been working on the literature review for months. There is a lot of information out there. I'm so afraid I'll miss something. But now, my struggle is knowing when to stop. When do I have enough information?

I'm just having to accept mediocrity at this point and turn in *something*. I can always edit later. I just need to get a B in this class so I can get on with my life.

Hopefully in a couple days I'll have it turned in and I can get back to running, complaining about running, pretending to diet but cheating on it and then vowing to do better, and all the other fun things I do..

Source


No comments:

Post a Comment